Monday, May 11, 2009

Lavender and Chamomile..and glass doors

















So.....our first night was ok. Out room smells like the inside of a cigarette box, and it is quite overwhelming when you walk in!! Our room is RIGHT over the street- which stays busy all day and night. I didnt bring body wash on the trip...no to the ppl who think I am not bathing over here like I do in the US..but I brought the baby wash cloths that already have soap in them (lavender and chamomile) and they are amazing :)....so we started the day with breakfast- CHOCOLATE FROSTED FLAKES!!! sooo good!! And half an orange- we then walked to get on a tram- like a bus-looking marta on a wire- kinda. They all look like they are from different decades- thankfully we got one one from the 2000 times and had air conditioning! Yes it is hot here- not humid at all- but hot while walking around.

We went to the University of Zagreb today- the biggest university in the country and they are on strike, some of the students. They are striking for free education- and it looks like a bunch of kids just sitting around drinking and smoking outside with loud "techo folk" music and banners on the school. Some students still have class- the Med students were all in the library studying. We had 2 lectures from professors of the Uni- one on history and the other on language. History was interesting but amazingly boring! We then had lunch at the "cafeteria"- which would be the school lunch room equivilant. Sandwiches or a hot lunch- I had a ham sandwich on this flat round bread. They dont eat chips like we do. And we had bottled water with lime flavor- eh its ok- its made by Coca Cola and called Bistra Emotion. We stopped for 30 mins at this "hangout"area on the way to the Institue of Pilar- research center- that reaked of insense and had walls and tables that looked like the cover of a Grateful Dead album. We sat outside and tried the national drink- Cockta. At first I didnt see the "ta" on the lable and giggled to myself thinking- I sure hope someone orders a "Cock"- large size please. Then I saw the rest of the letters and still laughed at my inability to read. It tasted like vanilla coke w some fruit flavoring- and flat. It was a good thing to try- 1 time. We then went to Ins. of Pilar and had another short lecture on the population changes in Croatia and this was much more interesting.


We then toured the city for 2 hours- saw the Parliment, Government, the oldest and largest Cathedral in the country, and other points of interest in the city. There are SO many people here!! In the middle of sidewalks- and what would be roads- there are the CUTEST cafe's and resturaunts- with these huge umbrellas over the seating- which is really nice like rattan or soft cushiony seats. Smoking is very abundant here. After group touring we were turned loose for the rest of the night :) it is almost 7 here- we (me and the roomie) are going to dinner and drinks with some of the other students. Elizabeth and I walked around the city and I got an AWESOME shirt- they are kinda expensive so dont be mad if I dont bring you one! We also went to the bank to change cash into kuna- this was an interesting experience. Thankfully the teller spoke english and we had no trouble. 5.5 kuna= $1 US - so we are getting everything fairly cheap over here. We then had our first gelato- both of us for the first time ever- and Im pretty sure we are HOOKED. Snickers was mine and strawberry was Elizabeths- both were super good and only cost a lil over a $1!!! We then walked into the post office- which is where we use our phone cards- and while standing there talking about the place- oh a GLASS SLIDING DOOR decided to CRASH into my left EAR. I thought some rude Croat had just hit my ear- but I turn just in time to see the sliding door slide back into place. It hurt SO bad. It burned it hit me so hard!!! I dont know why it wasnt motion activated, because I was standing right in its path- but it hit just my ear and let me tell you that was enough!!! It still hurts!! We are going out in a few minutes- but I hope you get a good laugh at this post. Tomorrow we are hiking. Yes I will be on the trip :) _ this is the Keen's real test!! Love yall and miss ya!

2 comments:

  1. LOL... I miss you Ray-Shell & look forward to reading these interesting blogs of urs!!!

    Love Ya Girlie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA - this was quite comical. Guess the whole "don't be mad if I don't bring you a shirt" comment was for me (lol). Glad you're having a good time. Crazy question though - I sent you a text sunday. Can you receive them over there? Bored out of my mind at work. Soak it all in, you'll be back in this boring grind again soon. Love You!!!

    ReplyDelete