Monday, April 9, 2012

Making the most out of something

Lately, I have not just FELT like a complete failure, I have lived it out. Everything I seem to do somehow has backfired in my face and just left a big ol mess. Literally- everything I have touched this month has gone to crap. I'm not sure why, but I just seem to have to worst luck ever. I thought I was a very detailed person, I am realizing I am the most oblivious to details ever. Here is a recap of my week.

Lets pick up on Wednesday: I teach college class at church. I like teaching, although I dont really think I am that great at it. Not only did anyone in my class NOT even speak to me (minus the 2 new ones), um, 2 people just came to church for dinner then skipped class. Makes you feel awesome you know? I am just struggling with trying to be effective and serving a purpose in this class- and nothing is seeming to give. Maybe I am a terrible teacher. Maybe I am boring. Maybe the people in my class really just dont like me- or the things I have to say. Maybe it is awkward being in my class. Maybe I dont know enough about what I am talking about and that bothers people. Maybe they have picked up on that I can't seem to make eye contact when I am in Sunday School or class on Wednesdays. Whatever it is- I am just struggling with this class right now. I want to be used for the greater good of the advancement of the Kingdom, but I am falling short. Real short.

Thursday: Worked on my never ending grant proposal, got my hair highlighted (one person has noticed, kinda a bummer, but I just take it as it still looks natural and Im ok with that), and then had a FANTASTIC dinner with my 2 grandparents at their home in Wilkinson County. They pulled out the works for me, and I am so grateful that people really do love me- especially in times of needing to actually feel like I am liked or loved. Salad, baked potato, CRAB cakes, perfect yeast rolls, and STEAK. It was like heaven. (PS, I have eaten more meat this week than I have since December, missing being vegan, but appreciating a good piece of beef!) After dinner, I was called to do some doctoring of a foot injury. At least I am good for something I guess.

That night- oh that night is when it all just went astray. I found a pair of Masters tickets online, went through a really long and odd process of communicating with the man- sent him money and was expecting my tickets for Saturday. Expedited and insured. Saw a picture- talked to the man, legit. So it seemed.

Friday- got some of my friends to spray tan, worked on my grant tediously, picked up a new pair of shorts for a friend, and got 4 new pairs of shoes. That was a good day. In bed by 1030.

Saturday. Oh Saturday, the day it all fell apart. After waking up at the crack of dawn, I got ready and waited for my special delivery. And waited. And waited. They were guaranteed to be there Saturday am by 1030am. My friend had come to wait with me. Wait wait wait- jumping up at the sound of every truck that passed hoping it was FedEx. Fedex never came and neither did my tickets. I had to file a police report and realize that a LOT of money just went down the drain. I teared up and choked in my voice talking to my friend, because I had wanted to give a nice day to him, and then it never happened. I got his hopes up only to drop them and crush them into tiny shattered dreams of not going to the Masters.

Insert making the most out of something. My friend could have gone and done anythign else he wanted that day. He didnt have to hang out with me, there was no obligation or real need to spend the day with me now that the Masters dream had been ruined. But- he chose to not dwell in the crappy situation and said we were going to Atlanta. And in a moment, I was reminded that you can't control somethings. Off to the PGA Tour Superstore we went- and it was just the beginning of a wonderful day.

After spending some time trying on various clothes, we left with an awesome new outfit and I even bought him a new hat to match since I felt like I had let him down. We then went to Dave and Busters, Pirate's Cove golf and headed up the road to the Cheesecake Factory. I can tell you it was a wonderful blessed day. We had so much fun just hanging out and doing fun things. Dinner was amazing and so delicious! We came home and that was it.

The day was ruined by being scammed online, but choosing to make the most out of what we were given was a true blessing from God himself. My friend knew I was going to sit around and cry all day, but he chose to make it better for me and I am so glad he did.

Make the most out of what you are given, and maybe you will be surprised like I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment