Friday, June 1, 2012

The time has finally come



Sr Prom 2002, Im in the red on the right
 
Sr year Softball
 Today marks a special bittersweet time in my life. Tonight, I celebrate my TEN year high school class reunion with my class of 2002, as well as the class of 2001, and 2000. As I sit here with anticipation to see people I haven't seen since they graduated, I want to reflect on what all has happened in the past 10 years of my life. My gosh that is a TERRIBLY long time. It is hard to believe May 21, 2002 I was wearing a white gown and turning my red and gray tassel with my classmates. So, sit back and read where my life has taken me since graduation from John Hancock Academy.

March 2003, Texas


1. I started college at GCSU in August 2002. A day after I had turned 18. All of my friends went every where but here. It was ok though, I made tons of new friends through BSU. I had a lot of ups and downs with academics, but finally found my calling my Jr year in Health Education. I was blessed to be able to travel to Alabama, Texas, Washington D.C., Grand Cayman, Montego Bay Jamaica, Cozumel, St. John, St. Marteen, St. Thomas,  Hilton Head, Jekyll Island, Marietta, Chattanooga, Asheville, Virginia, Connecticut, and Boston.

2. I graduated in Spring of 2006, on time, in four years. I was the first to graduate out of my class of 10. I graduated with a Bachelor's of Science in Health Education: Community Health and Human Services.


1st Time to NY, BFF Rachel, host pastor


July 4th 2002, CT
3. I spent an entire summer as a summer missionary in Wallingford CT. This is probably one of the best summers of my life to this date. I met my best friend/twin Rachel there and we have been inseparable since. I worked at a sweet little church, White Oak Baptist, and had the best 10 weeks I could ever ask for. I visited New York for the first time and loved it.


4. I came home from CT and got my first BIG girl job in September of 2006 at GCSU, my old stomping grounds. I have been in the same position for 5.5 years now. I feel like I have improved, but have so so much more to learn.

 5. Back up just a bit- to college- Senior year- October 26th 2005. I tore my ACL, lateral meniscus and MCL in a class for school by being tripped playing basketball. I had surgery in December 2005, May 2006, and December 2010. My knee will never be the same. I can honestly say this is one thing I wish would have never happened in my life.


Catching a HUGE glob of confetti

6. I went back to CT for Christmas/New Year's and had one of the best life experiences ever: I was in TIMES SQUARE FOR NEW YEAR'S! So close to the stage I could see Ryan Seacrest's teleprompter.


 7.  I started Graduate school in 2007. It was challenging and overwhelming at times, but it was worth it.


8. I got a dog in 2007 as well. Mowgli Diana to be exact. From the moment I saw her big ol head and tiny little body come out of the towel she was in, I was in love. This dog has been my heart. I love her more and more each day.

9. I have moved every year or year and a half for the last 5 years. Wait- more than that. I moved out from home my Winter Jr year and lived in a BIG house (Party Palace) and got paid to live there til August of my Sr year. Then I had to move to (cynder block castle) downtown. I graduated and moved home for 2 weeks, left for CT, moved home for 2 months. Then Julie and I shared a brand new townhouse downtown, (The Ritz). She left me to finish clinicals, so I moved to a 1 bedroom on Tatnall near the bridge, (The Love Shack). Then, I moved to a brick house on Harrington (um, I guess I didnt have a name for this one). Then, lastly I have moved to the towns again, but a nicer updated one. And now, I am faced with moving again- but have no idea where to. It is kinda scary.


10. My dad got cancer in 2008. It was one of the hardest times in my life, but God provided and brought him through all the mess and he is cancer free today. Praise the Lord!

11. I graduated with my Master's of Education in 2009. I am the 1st again of my class to graduate with one of these. Only 1 other person in my class has one. I guess it is a big deal. GCSU also paid for this, huge blessing.


Croatia, Plitvice Lakes

12. I spent 3 week studying abroad in Croatia in 2009 and had THE TIME OF MY LIFE. It was the most beautiful place ever. I made some really good friends because of this trip and want to fill my passport up.

Vegas, My 25th


13. Because of my job, I have traveled to Savannah twice, Vanderbilt, Clemson and USC, Atlanta, New Jersey, New York, and Orlando. All for free, except my outside fun.

14. I have also traveled to High Point and Charlotte NC, Charleston  & Hilton Head SC, Tybee, Savannah and Atlanta GA, Panama City, Port St. Joe, Mexico Beach, Tampa, Fort Walton Beach and somewhere else in the Gulf in Florida, Vegas, Nassau and Freeport Bahamas.

15. I got another dog in Fall of 2010. My sweet spotted ball of energy never stopping chew up everything Winnie Vera. This dog was special. Mowgli and her were quickly best friends and loved like sisters. She was taken too soon in January of 2012 and my heart winces every time I think about her. My eyes fill with tears even now as I type. I miss her a whole whole lot.



16. A list of all my jobs during college: 1st job: Animal Rescue Foundation, ew. Scooping poop is not for me. 2nd Job: Kid's Exchange: neighbor's owned a shop downtown to resell children's clothes, so I worked there a while. 3rd job, that took me right up from Freshman year to Junior year: Babysitting a Professor's kids. Started out with a 3 month old baby boy and then gained his sister when they started homeschooling her. It was an easy job, miss that money. 4th job: Youth Minister at Darien Baptist Church. 5th job: Protective Financial Services: gopher and mail person. 6th internship at Heartworks in Macon, so couldnt work. 7th job: Belk- started out in accesories and wound up at Estee Lauder. LOVED this job, considering going back. 7th job: GCSU. Wow that is a lot for 4 years.


As I sit here and try to think more about the last 10 years, I can't really come up with anything else. Here are the stats for my class of 10 right now:
All are still alive, so that is a blessing.5 are married. 5 have kids, just one has a kid not married. 1 has been through a divorce, but remarried. 6 went to college, 2 went to technical school, 2 have Master's degrees. 1 lives out of state, the rest are all in central and east GA. Everyone has jobs: 1 is construction, 1 is something big time at a bank, 1 is in fashion marketing/sales, 2 are teachers, 1 is an ultra-sound tech, 1 works in the gas industry, 1 works at a local store, 1 I honestly dont know, but know they work, and then me.

High school wasn't all that pretty for me. I didn't fit in- and it wasn't my choice school. But, tonight I will sit back and be reminded that was 10 years ago. I will hang out with people that I haven't seen in years. I will hear old stories and laugh at the times we were young and dumb. I will cherish the 10 years I have been given since my days at JHA. So here's to the class of 2002, I hope we can all have another 10 years (and more) and that we use our time in high school as a stepping stone to achieve only the best dreams in life.


2002



June 1, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment