Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cross Points

A new trend that has been popping up in fashion since last year is "cross" jewelry and accessories. A quick visit into any boutique and you will see what I am talking about. Pink stone crosses, fat orange cross earrings- necklaces, rings, and the cross in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Google Betsy Pittard and you will see that this girl is blowing up the cross scene. These are some of her pieces you may have seen in Milledgeville or central GA- since she is from Macon. 





They really are pretty and are statement pieces. Simple alone and awesome in a bundle. I too am guilty of purchasing some of these things (not a BP Design, but I found mine on the lo-lo from a reallllly awesome website). My newest and one of my most favorite pieces right now is this new bracelet I got on Friday


It is so pretty in its gold hammered metal with these turquoise and red coral beads- and I love the strands that hang down.

(This trend may or may not be making an appearance in the event of the year...).

Anyway, I was reminded/enlightened of something this week when I was trying to decide which cross bracelet I was going to pick. The cross is a symbol for the Christian faith, yet we lose so much sight over how much that cross really means. 

We get caught up in the fashion- In the "it" scene.  I love my bracelet- don't get me wrong. But I just see it as a fashion statement, not as a spiritual piece to me. It is just a shape when I wear it. 

I don't care how pretty you try and make that cross- with it on turned on its side, or in a bright neon color- if you cut the edges- or if you make it longer- or even with a gold or silver chain.  Even if you stack 3 or 4 bracelets on top of it, the truth of the matter is- the "cross" is not a pretty symbol. There should be nothing pretty to you about a man being nailed, with stakes, to a wooden cross with blood pouring from his brow, hands, back, and feet. A cross that was so heavy someone else had to carry it for him. A cross that was lifted up after this man was nailed to it and then dropped in a hole, making it incredibly hard to breathe.

 A cross that was covered with the sins of the world- only so that you and I might live. I don't know about you- but some all of my sins are really ugly. I am ashamed to admit some of them. Some of them would probably make my mother cry and my father want to disown me. And though some of them may be silly to you, they are all ugly and hideous to me. Yet- an innocent, perfect man- took all of my ugliness and filth and nailed it to a cross on my behalf. 

The writer, George Bennard, of "The Old Rugged Cross" got it right. Italicized portions are my emphasis- which I find great comfort and gratitude. 

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.

I write all of this- as a reminder to me. To not get caught up in the "pretty" cross craze, but to be ever mindful that my sin was nailed to that cross once and for all. 

I leave you with these verses to think about. 

He himself bore our sinsin his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 1 Peter 2:23-25

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1 Corinthians 1:18

"When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,  having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross." Colossians 2:13-15

I hope you will find truth in the statement I made earlier- the "cross" is not a pretty symbol, yet is is the most beautiful symbol for a lost world. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you brought this up, Rachel! Even though I think those bracelets are pretty as well...they've always rubbed me the wrong way. I've just sort of felt the cross hasn't been taken seriously in those situations.

    With that said, for those of us who do have a special attachment to the meaning of the cross...we can let it serve as a reminder when we wear it. :)

    ReplyDelete