Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The proposal

Now this is the story all about how-
How My life got changed, filled with  hope-
And I'd like to take a minute - just sit right down
I'll tell you how I became the fiance of Kevin Pope

I hope you read that while hearing the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song. I have been letting the engagement sink in and I finally have some time to write about how it happened. Hope you enjoy the story- because it is a good one!

Friday- November 16

I had left work early because I had worked late Thursday night. I went to Kevin's house when I got off from work. We hung out and talked and he said he had to go to Atlanta a lot this next week and maybe he could swing by Solomon Brothers and order my ring.

I made a sarcastic comment- "it is less than 7 weeks til Christmas you know." (knowing that he had told me it would take at least 6 weeks to make the ring and have it shipped back to GA) He replied "Oh my gosh- are you serious?! Well, maybe I can get it rushed through." And my reply "It's fine- I'm never getting a ring." He said in the sweetest voice "Oh yes you will, just not right now because the ring you picked out cost a lot of money and I have to save up more for it."
So I left it at that and set in my mind that it was going to happen on New Year's Eve because he had asked me multiple times- do you want to get engaged this year or next- and I just KNEW he was going to get down on one knee at 11:59 December 31.

Later on his mom called him and said she had seen my mom at Walmart and they wanted to know if we wanted to go to dinner with them. (I was pining for some Lieu's peking anyway on my own- so when Mrs. Helen said that's where they were going- I was totally on board!) We said we would meet them there at 7.

No big- our parents had met before- but they had never had dinner all together. My mom missed out on a few previous dinners. So  really didnt think anything of it- but I was incredibly excited about chinese food!

Mrs. Helen called again to make sure it was ok with me- I guess part of the plan- and I think to tell Kevin to make sure he didnt dress up too much or something about my mom having clothes- I dont really know.

We left the house and headed to Lieu's. We took Kevin's truck- which is really weird and I don't remember why- but I asked him if he remembered our date to Aubri Lane's when he asked me to sit in the middle and I said that was one of the best dates I had ever had. He told me to sit in the middle again this night and I did.

We get to Lieu's- late of course- and where are our parents seated? RIGHT SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLACE!! Seriously- the middle table where everyone in the entire place can see you from any other table. We sit down- order our food and set out to overindulge on some various chicken plates.

By the end, I am so full and miserable because I for some reason ate EVERYTHING. Bob, the owner, brings out a pretty dyed onion he had carved- and I am guessing he did this because he was so nervous about bringing out the fortune cookies he was trying to calm down. The fortune cookies come out a few minutes later (Kevin said he was having to give him signals all night about the timing). I grabbed up a few and tossed them around the table.

Kevin is to my left and my deddy is to my right, then my mom, his mom, and his dad. I shuffle 2 cookies in my hand like I always do and I asked Kevin- which one do you want? (Now I did notice that Lieu's had gotten new cookies, the bags were different {yes, we eat there that much}, but I didnt think anything of it.)

He picked the one in my right hand and I tear mine open. Now, I dont know if you play this game- but my family always plays read your fortune and add "in the bed" after it to make it funnier. Well, I didnt really want Kevin's parents to hear me say that- so I just read my fortune outloud to Kevin. "The man next to you has a very important question to ask."

Pause story

I immediately think to myself "well, that is not very exciting of a fortune, but when I add "in the bed" maybe it will be funnier.

So, as I am processing the above statement, I turn to Kevin to say "in the bed" and lo and behold he is getting down on one knee. At this point I lost it. And immediately thought "OHMYGOSH This is a REAL fortune!" My hands are over my wide open mouth and I feel like I am in another place and he said "You know I tell you I love you every day and that I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Will you marry me?"

Picture Quasimodo. Now make him cry. That is what kind of face I have at this point. My mouth is wide open and Im bawling. I just hug the life out of Kevin because I am still in shock. He didn't get a yes when he asked, just some extremely tight hug and the breath knocked out of him. He asks me, well is that a yes- do you want me to put the ring on your finger?

And i said "yes! yes yes yes!- but way more cry-tone involved. He slid the most beautiful ring on the planet on my finger and stood up and got me up to hug me again.

At this point, everyone in the restaurant is clapping for us. The crazy thing is that we knew about 10 people in there having dinner. It was really special for that many people to share our excitement with us. All I can do is cry and hug Kevin. I didnt want to let go.

My parents are technologicaly challenged, so my mom with her fancy iphone she has had for 2 months- couldnt figure out how to take pictures. So in the middle of my exciting time- I had to show her and I eventually just gave it to Kevin to deal with. Everyone wanted to see my ring, so I gladly went and showed it off.

I know both my parents teared up and were smiling from ear to ear when it was happening. Bob brought us out more food for the celebration and said he had never been so nervous in his life. He had never had to do a proposal before. Kevin's mom had delivered the special fortune cookies- which Kevin had ordered 20- to make sure he had his bases covered because he knew I would switch them up! So, all of us got the same fortune, I really dont even think our parents opened theres. Smart guy he is. He also made sure Bob knew to bring out those cookies- because the regular ones would obviously ruin the plan.

We celebrated a little longer and took lots of pics. We missed out on taking pictures with our parents, I guess we were just too excited. I hugged my parents and they have never been so excited. I hugged Kevin's parents and his mom said "well- you didn't ask for my permission. And I am thinking..what the heck are you talking about woman? And I said "Can I be your daughter in law?" and she said something- I dont remember- so I guess that meant I got it wrong and I said "Can I please marry your son?" and she said yes- then proceeded to hug me and said in a stern voice that only I heard "Don't hurt my baby".

I have to laugh- but I'm pretty sure she meant business. I won't hurt your baby- I love him too much to hurt him!!

It was the best thought out and well planned engagement. Kevin is a sweetheart. Lieu's Peking is where the story all started, where Kevin and I had our first date, so it will forever hold a special place in our hearts.

Here are some pics from that night- start left- then go down- then the right side is the completion.

We are over the moon excited and can't wait to get married in April! Thanks for reading our story- This will be the best Thanksgiving ever- because my heart is full and my ring finger is SHINING!


No comments:

Post a Comment