Monday, November 5, 2012

The ugly truth

Sometimes, we all do it. Some of us, probably more so than not. And when we do it- we don't ever question it. It is who we are- .........or is it?

I have found myself lately seeing life through a different perspective. I am not sure how this came about- because I sure didn't ask for it, but God is trying to teach me something right now.

Sometimes, I look at people and judge them. Oh how I judge them for their clothing, their belongings, but mostly for their looks. I think the worst or degrade them in my mind because they aren't like me. Or they aren't pretty or attractive. Then, for some reason, God has been working on my head and my heart lately. God reminds me in a still and quiet voice- that he made them just the same as me- He MADE them on purpose and with a purpose- and I am supposed to love them. Love them because God loves me- and I say I love him- and that is how you are to live your life according to the scripture. ..John 13:34 (NIV) “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

It is hard to love people who are different from us. Or not so much different from our "lifestyle" but it is hard to love people who get on my nerves. Maybe not for you. Maybe you can just see them for what they are- I hope to be that way one day.

Sometimes I call people ugly- like a make a big point out of how ugly and trashy they are. That same still voice reminds me that "God does not look at outward appearance Rachel, he looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7)- and you should be doing the same young lady.

It is so hard to think of all people being equal. There are many many differences- race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, education level, religion, where you live (such as ghetto vs a trailer park or a subdivision), where you were raised, who ya momma and ya daddy are- your political stance- and how you present yourself to the world with your clothes and hygiene. But one thing remains- oh and I love this song- "Your love never fails, you never give up on me."

God never gives up on us- his love is never ending. And the crazy thing is- that same love is inside each and every believer. I want that love overflowing from me. I want to love others- this verse sums it up  "Dear Children, let us not love with words or speech, but with actions and in truth" 1 John 3:18

Don't just talk about how you love people- get out there and show them. Stop running your mouth so much and maybe you could see the brokeness that these people need, and the only thing- THE ONLY THING that you can offer them that will actually make things better- is the love of Christ.

I hope the next time you look at someone, you look at them and love them- even if you don't know them or never speak to them- I pray that you and I can love people.


No comments:

Post a Comment