Friday, November 9, 2012

All you need is love...

Not really. Some people base their entire lives around this saying- and go looking for love in all the wrong places. To the arms of a stranger, to the home of a friend- to the refrigerator or to the mirror- only to find that sometimes we don't always get what we want.

Acceptance. Memories. Warm thoughts about being together- these are the deepest feelings that all human beings crave. And when we don't get the things we need/want, sometimes it can turn out ugly.

In my struggles as a Christian, I find it really hard to love the way I should (refer back to the other post). Christ is the model for love- so to sum it up- it is supposed to be on purpose, genuine, with intent to bring something better to someone else's life, and real.

If anything- just know that Jesus didn't pretend. He didn't love people one day and turn his back on them the next- we did that part.

I had to spend some time in the Word this week looking for something that I honestly wasnt comfortable with, but I know that God was pushing me to it. When we are angry or hurt or disappointed or just plain confused from/by people, the only place we need to run to is the arms of Christ.

Yet, so often, we run to the created and not the Creator.

"But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Matthew 5:44

“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." Luke 6:28

"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked." Luke 6:35

You can see where my struggle is this week- ohh loving people that are enemies. Or in modern day terms: people that don't like you.

My favorite parts of the Bible are when Christ speaks. I am huge fan of Paul's work, but Jesus' words have a different something to me.

In the Amplified version, it takes on a whole new meaning:
 "Invoke blessings upon and pray for the happiness of those who curse you, implore God’s blessing (favor) upon those who abuse you [who revile, reproach, disparage, and high-handedly misuse you].

Instead of harboring bitterness or holding on to the hurt- I choose to let it go this week. I choose to pray for those who are against me. I choose to ask for God to rain down blessings on them- and bless them to the point where their cup runneth over. It is a hard thing- which is why there are so many verses about loving those who are against you.

I will pray. I will love. And I won't do it because it is any idea of mine- I do it because Christ loved me when I was his enemy.

Maybe all you really need is the love of Christ- and it will cover a multitude.







No comments:

Post a Comment