Monday, November 5, 2012

Regrets and Roots

It's been a long time- I shouldnt have left you without a dope beat to step to..

If you know that song- then you are old :) But it has been a while- so much has been going on- and the lazy bug struck me again, so here goes.

This past weekend I had the chance to take a trip down memory lane with Mr. Kevin Pope himself. We trekked off to Statesboro- his college town- his old stopmpin' grounds. Now, I had been to Statesboro a time or two in college- to visit friends on breaks that I had- but never really did anything besides the movies or dinner. This time- oh, I got the full Statesboro special.

Saturday we made our way to the tailgate for the Eagles- and I can tell you- it was way more relaxed and chill than an Athens tailgate- and a whole lot less stressed. I really liked how everyone tailgates in the same area- its not a bunch of loud people with solo cups. And the football team comes through the backside of the tailgate in their buses and everyone sets off their car alarms. Oh- and the band walks through the tailgate- which was pretty cool too. Eventually, after visiting a few tailgates of Kevin's friends, we made our way into the game. Here is where my regret started to set in.

I am pretty sure I missed out a great deal by not going to a school with football. The excitement of being a part of something way bigger than yourself really set in this weekend. I missed out on tailgating, screaming for my school and singing alma matas with my classmates. I really have no idea what it is like to feel like you are a part of the ____ nation.

This sparked a lot of other regrets that I thought about over the weekend.

I missed out on a real college experience because I didn't go away to a school. I missed out on learning what it is truly like to live on your own at an early age. I have never had to share a room- or a bathroom with anyone- even when I did move out. I have always had the luxury of having my parents around if something ever went wrong- like tearing my acl- or being sick my freshman year.

I don't know what its like to be in a class FULL of people. The most I ever had was maybe 45-50. I don't know what it is like to actually have to plan your schedule to be able to get to classes on different sides of campus.

I missed out on going to a school that people have actually heard of. I missed out on knowing what it is like to actually have to drive back to school and stay for a while. I do feel like I missed out on the fun and excitment that college is supposed to bring. I regret staying in Milledgeville all of the time- because I am still here. I regret just taking a chance and actually applying anywhere but Georgia College. I regret just actually taking a chance to leave.

I say all of this- because my college experience couldn't have been more different than my other half's. I went to a small school with no football team. I lived at home my first 2.5 years. I moved out my Jr year and still was in the same town, so nothing changed but some freedom. I had small classes. I didn't party. I would go out to dance- but I didn't drink until I turned 21- the 1st day of my Senior year. Even when I could drink legally- I didnt really do it because that just wasn't me. I didn't date anyone until my Senior year- like I think I went on maybe 3 dates in college.

My college experience was so different from that of a "typical college student"- but I have to remember that some things I wouldn't ever change.

I met an awesome core group of friends my freshman year- and to this day we still keep in touch. I spent my every waking minute either at the BSU (BCM now) or with my BSU friends. BSU was my life. I went on mission trips to Alabama, Texas, Washington DC, Atlanta- Marietta and Connecticut because of being at GCSU. I went to the beach every fall and every spring the mountains. Chattanooga is where I decided to change my major because of BSU. I was on BSU Council Freshman year- which was a 1st for our BSU. I stayed on Council til my Senior year. I was in and led Bible studies. I went home with friends for Spring Break to their parents homes and we talked about everything- and their parents loved me like I was one of their own.

I stayed up late with my BSU friends talking, singing, and laughing. My grades didn't slip because I partied, they slipped because I had too much of a social life. I have many stories that are only relevant to my friends and myself- that no one else would understand, but I wouldnt trade for anything- not even a school with football.

So as I sit here and feel as though I did miss out on my college experience, I can honestly say- it wouldn't have worked out the way it did if I went any other place. God knew what he was doing keeping me in Milledgeville. I have the best memories- and even still- some of the best friends from this lil ol' town.

No comments:

Post a Comment