Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Boyz to Men: Mama

I don't know how you feel about your momma. But today is my momma's birthday and every year I am reminded of this sweet song from Boys 2 Men. I play it every year.

My relationship with my mother hasn't been always glitter and gold. At times, I know we have both hated each other. And I know I have caused a lot of guilt, hurt, and pain to my mom- not just in my terrible teenage years, but in my quest to become a woman.

At times I know she has been more than disappointed in me and with my actions. I know I have broken her heart a million times. I have said things that I didn't mean- but said them still and I know I hurt her.

Here is the thing though. My momma has loved me when I truly was unloveable. My momma has always been there for me. As an only child, I don't have to share my parents and I have their full attention when I want it.

My momma came to every EVERY athletic event, every play, every musical, every event that I have had in my life. My momma stands behind me- even when she knows I am wrong- she still never gives up on me. Though our relationship has been strained, my momma is the first person I call when I am upset. She always listens and never makes me feel bad about the choices I have made. I cry with her and still lay my head on her shoulder. I call her late and wake her up and she never questions it- and always offers to come get me.  

My mom had a really rough life growing up. And though she never told me this, I know she vowed a long time ago if she was ever a mom, her kid would never have to go through what she went through. I know she vowed to sacrifice any and every one of her wants and needs to provide for me. I know my momma loves me with every beat in her chest.

She has taught me how to cook. How to clean correctly. How to be creative. How to be a leader and get things done. How to never settle for what you want out of life. And how to have fun in life. My momma has always taught me- if you want it- work hard to get it and don't depend on anyone else to do it for you- whatever it is. Whether it is changing a light bulb or something bigger like relationships. My momma also taught me that I am not spoiled, I am just accustomed to nice things. And I am truly fine with that.

So, today celebrate your mom- or this Sunday since it is Mother's day. I am thankful that I have a momma who encourages creativity, wants to protect me from the wrong of this world, and loves me- even when I mess up.

Happy Birthday Momma! I am so glad I am the only person in the world that can call you that! I hope your day is wonderful, you deserve it.


Watch this video. I cry every year, the words are so true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tap90z44WR8arents

No comments:

Post a Comment